A Russian native, I came to the US in 2000 and currently live in San Diego, California.
Languages and intercultural communications have always been my passion. I learned Italian on my own as a child, English in secondary school, and French in college.
By about age 11, I realized that translation was my calling, and since then I have been working on becoming the best translator I can be.
My formal education is in languages and translation:
I have passed the United Nations Competitive Examination for Russian language translators.
For more details about my qualifications and expertise, please see my
SVETLANA BELOSHAPKINA English ▪ French ▪ Italian to Russian
Translator / Consecutive Interpreter
Web site: www.beloshapkina.com
SERVICES: Translation, Editing, Proofreading, Consecutive Interpretation, Cultural Consultancy
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• 12 years of full-time translation experience
• Master of Arts in Translation and Interpretation
• Master of Arts in French
• United Nations Russian Translation Service Roster member
• Mastery of grammar and various styles of the Russian language
• Native knowledge of the Russian culture and excellent cultural transposition skills
• Excellent research and assignment preparation skills
• High accuracy and attention to detail, established quality control procedures
• Proficient with TEnT/CAT tools: WordFast Pro and Classic, Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
• Subtitles and Dubbing: translation of subtitles for feature and documentary films, educational, promotional, and corporate video; script translation and adaption for dubbing (lip-synching)
• International Cooperation and Non-Profit Organizations: humanitarian assistance and development reports, grant proposals, global and local employee training materials
• Life Sciences and Healthcare: patient brochures and surveys for clinical trials, pharmaceutical surveys, medical interpreting
• Law and Business: contracts, agreements, annual reports, corporate communications, marketing and advertising materials, statistical reports; interpreting at foreign partner visits, audits, negotiations
• Software: testing of localized GUIs and WUIs and localized software functionality testing
• Master of Art in Translation and Interpretation, Russian/English/French - Monterey Institute of International Studies, 2004
• Master of Arts in French - University of Illinois at Chicago, 2000
• Specialist Diploma (MA equivalent) in Teaching French and English as Foreign Languages – Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University, 1998
United Nations Competitive Examination for Russian Language Translators and Précis-writers, 2010
• American Translators Association, Voting Member
• ATA Slavic Languages Division, Newsletter Editorial Board
• ATA Literary Translators Division
PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
• "IDIOM TRANSLATION FOR SLAVIC SAVANTS"
Presented at the 56th Annual Conference of the American Translators
Association in Miami, FL, 2015
• "SAY WHAT?!... Rendering Hollywood’s explicit language in Russian"
SlavFile, Newsletter of the ATA Slavic Languages Division, Vol. 24, #2, 2015
• "SOUND EFFECTS IN RUSSIAN <> ENGLISH TRANSLATION"
Conference review, SlavFile, Newsletter of the ATA Slavic Languages Division, Vol. 23, #2, 2014
• "SON OF SOUND EFFECTS"
Presented at the 55th Annual Conference of the American Translators Association in Chicago, IL, 2014